No Singapore holiday is complete without visiting Sentosa, one of Asia’s leading resorts just off the southern coast of this bustling city state.
The 500-hectare island is home to an exciting range of themed attractions, heart-thumping fun rides, sandy beaches, championship golf courses and luxury accommodation.
In fact, there is so much to do it now calls itself The State of Fun.
The former fishing village was transformed into an idyllic recreational resort more than 40 years ago. Today, Sentosa attracts an astonishing 20 million local and overseas holidaymakers each year.
So why do so many make the journey?
For a start, it’s easy. Just 15 minutes from the central business district, getting to Sentosa is a doddle. Take the efficient mass rapid train service to Harbourfront station at VivoCity shopping mall, then hop on the Sentosa Express – a special train service exclusively for island guests. Or simply stroll along Sentosa Boardwalk, a 700-metre timber pedestrian walkway surrounded by lush gardens.
For an even more scenic route, jump on board the Singapore Cable Car Sky Network from Mount Faber. You’ll get stunning aerial views. Alight at Imbiah Lookout and the fun begins.
As soon as visitors set foot on the island, they will feel the Sentosa spirit. It really is a world away from Singapore, even though they are so well connected.
Cheerful and enthusiastic island ambassadors greet each guest and help them make the right fun choices.
For families with kids, there’s nothing like climbing aboard the space-age Segway Personal Transporter to explore. Try the Segway Eco Adventure, a scenic ride along the beaches. For first-timers, trainers teach visitors to navigate the Segway Fun Ride circuit.
Take a breather from Singapore’s heat and visit Madame Tussauds Singapore, the celebrity waxwork attraction where you can “meet” and interact with your heroes.
At the other end of the spectrum there’s MOSH! – a first in Singapore. It’s an especially kid-friendly interactive digital multimedia themepark, and families love it. Visitors can transform their works into real life. Think drawing a fish then seeing it come to life in a digital aquarium. A MOSH! experience is an adventure that will challenge your imagination.
Adrenalin junkies are in for a treat, too. Head to Skyline Luge Sentosa, the first Luge in Southeast Asia. It has already hosted over 10 million rides down 628 metres of the Jungle Trail or the 688 metre Dragon Trail.
For an even bigger thrill, try Mega Adventure, the most extreme zip wire in Asia. Using an aerial rope course and free-fall simulator, Mega Adventure starts at the top of Mount Imbiah. Get the flight of your life as you zip along a 450-metre line over the island’s lush canopy from a height of 72 metres (about 22 storeys!) and land on an islet off Siloso Fort – the steepest descent in Asia.
Another “must visit” attraction is the Sentosa 4D AdventureLand. Journey2: The Mysterious Island is a 4D movie with an all-star cast, including the inimitable Dwayne Johnson a.k.a. The Rock. The audience is part of the movie, watching elephants and butterflies glide past your seat.
If the thought of a virtual rollercoaster ride through mountains and valleys appeals, then try The Extreme Log Ride. And if shoot-outs are your thing, 3-D Desperadoes will test your skills as you face-off some 20 gunslingers from your motion-based saddle seat.
You can enjoy all this fun with some special offers.
- Receive S$100 off Sentosa packages by inputting the code ‘SENTOSA 100’ when booking at https://sentosa.travelshoppes.com/pages/Mastercard.aspx (For the first 50 bookings only. Terms and conditions apply)
- Mastercard© has a big list of special promotions at http//www.sentosa.com.sg/mastercard-promotions.
- Exclusive Mastercard© cardholder perks include:
- 10 per cent off Gogreen Segway rides and 20 per cent off bicycle rentals.
- S$18 off 2 adult combo tickets for Madame Tussauds Singapore at S$60 (U.P. S$78). Baby prams are not allowed into Madame Tussauds Singapore.
- 10 per cent off MOSH! Family Bundles (includes entry for 1 adult and 1 child, U.P. S$48)
- S$6 off a 5-ride tickets on Skyline Luge Sentosa
- A complimentary MegaBounce (U.P. S$15) with purchase of any package at Mega Adventure
- 15 per cent off One-Day unlimited Adventure Passes at Sentosa 4D AdventureLand