It’s dark, bitterly cold and silent. Suddenly, a flicker of light dances in the sky. At first, the light appears pale and muted, before becoming increasingly intense and vibrant, transforming the dark sky into a kaleidoscope of colour.
Shafts of green, yellow, violet and red lights dart across, illuminating the horizon.
It’s like a celestial ballet dancing across the night sky stirring strong emotions within as you watch hypnotised by the illumination and unbelievable colours.
Few places on earth offer more ways to witness this phenomenal Northern Lights than Norway and Hurtigruten has some of the best expedition cruises along the Norwegian coast to discover this once-in-a-lifetime, bucket list experience.
On a Hurtigruten cruise, the Northern Lights come to you.
But hurry, you only have one day to book your cruise with Hurtigruten and save up to $1500 per cabin or enjoy a $200 onboard credit on selected Northern Lights itineraries. These Hurtigruten New Year Global Sale offers end on 20 February.
Norway with its deep fjords and steep mountains is one of the most beautiful places to experience the Northern Lights, also called Aurora Borealis – a name given by scientist and astronomer, Galileo.
The Northern Lights can look like a swirl of colours dancing in the sky, rays of light reaching up into space and sometimes as a giant fissure stretching across the horizon. The lights are strongest when seen from northern Norway.
Here are eight reasons why being on board is the best way to see the Northern Lights
- The Northern Lights will usually occur at multiple times and in different locations during your cruise with Hurtigruten.
- Hurtigruten sails in northern Norway which is directly beneath the Auroral Zone, an area of consistent auroral activity to see the Northern Lights.
- Hurtigruten’s ‘Northern Lights Promise‘ means if the lights do not appear during your trip, you’ll get another 6 or 7-day Classic Voyage free of charge.
- The aurora can often appear directly above the ship, and Hurtigruten’s outdoor observation decks offer unobstructed front-row views.
- Being at sea avoids the artificial ambient light common on land, so the Northern Lights will be brighter and more vivid.
- There is no time limit, so you can enjoy them for as long as they appear.
- Onboard announcements ensure you don’t miss a single sighting.
- There are no hidden fees or separate excursions just to see the lights.
This 18-day adventure includes Oslo and Bergen, “Norway in a Nutshell”, the iconic northbound Coastal Voyage, insight into the Sami culture and most importantly, an opportunity for a front-row seat to Mother Nature’s natural light show. A 14-day southbound variation of this adventure is also available.
But hurry, this offer ends in just ONE DAY!