Carnival Australia wrapped up another record-breaking summer cruise season this weekend – after pumping over half a billion dollars into the economy with 698 port calls.
The season kicked off with the arrival of Princess Cruises’ Majestic Princess on September 15 – the largest Princess ship to sail in Australia.
Cunard, another of Carnival’s cruise brand, based Queen Elizabeth in local waters for 54 days this season. She will return for 101 days in the summer of 2019-20 and 118 days in 2020-21.
P&O Cruises made a record 334 calls to Australian ports during the wave season – 17 per cent more than the previous year – and accounted for nearly half of Carnival Australia’s total port calls
Carnival Australia president, Sture Myrmell said the record number of port calls by Carnival Australia-brand ships reflected the country’s love affair with cruising and domestic cruise itineraries in particular.
“The 2018-19 summer season was another high point for Carnival Australia with the promise of more to come as our ships based year round in Australia keep the magic going.
“Majestic Princess’s amazing runway arrival on Sydney Harbour captured everyone’s imagination and we celebrated Queen Elizabeth’s homeporting with Cunard partnering with four iconic Australian brands –RM Williams, Akubra, Starward Whisky and the Australian Dance Theatre.
“Dressing Cunard’s iconic bellboys in an all-Australian look for Queen Elizabeth’s Australian-based cruises, and taking them on a cross continental journey of discovery, was simply awesome,” Mr Myrmell said.
Other highlights for this season included:
- Majestic Princess was homeported in Sydney from September 2018 to March 2019 and will return in September this year for the upcoming 2019-20 season.
- Princess Cruises expanded its Across the Ditch program in New Zealand with more than 20 exclusive shore tours.
- Carnival Cruises increased its 3-5-day cruises by 40 per cent on the back of bigger demand for short breaks
- Carnival Spirit completed her sixth cruise season in Sydney and will move to her new homeport in Brisbane next year to cater for growing demand in Queensland.
- Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth made her maiden call to Hobart on February 18 this year.
Vote in this year’s special Readers’ Choice Awards
No doubt 2020 will go down in cruise history as the year of the pandemic – a once in a generation event. And this year’s Cruise Passenger Readers’ Choice Awards will reflect it.