Viking Cruises’ Ultimate World Cruise departed London last weekend and will attempt to set the Guinness World Record for the “longest continuous passenger cruise”.
The Ultimate World Cruise on the Viking Sun is on a 245-day London roundtrip that visits six continents, 51 countries and 111 ports, including overnights stays in 23 cities.
That’s around eight months spent at sea on the 930-guest ship – including 10 Australians booked for the round trip.
The sailing will fully circumnavigate the globe bringing guests to some of the world’s most legendary cities, iconic landmarks and destinations, before returning to London in May 2020, where a Guinness World Record adjudicator will confirm the successful attempt with a certificate presentation.
“For more than 20 years we have been committed to connecting travellers to culturally immersive experiences that allow them to explore the world in comfort,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking.
“Our Ultimate World Cruise is the most extensive itinerary available in the industry, nearly double the length of our previous world cruise itineraries. I am pleased to offer such a unique experience for our guests.”
Viking’s Ultimate World Cruise visits Scandinavia, the Caribbean and destinations throughout South America before calling on the remote tropical islands of the South Pacific.
Viking Sun will then continue its journey and reach the coast of Australia in February 2020 and through Asia before returning to the Mediterranean and Europe.
Full details on the Ultimate World Cruise can be found on Viking’s website here; highlights include:
- Greenwich: London at Your Door – Dock in the historic Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, which allows guests easy access to the regal capital’s iconic sights, including the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace.
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Peak of Brazilian Culture – One of the 23 overnight stays on this itinerary occurs in the historic city of Rio de Janeiro, where guests can witness the larger-than-life Christ the Redeemer statue or relax on the scenic Copacabana and Ipanema beaches of this coastal metropolis.
- Ushuaia, Argentina: “End of the World” – Commonly referred to as the “End of the World,” guests will visit Ushuaia, a city perched on a steep hill on the southernmost tip of South America, and explore its lush scenery through excursions to the nearby Escondido and Fagnano Lakes or the Tierra del Fuego National Park, which was first inhabited by humans 10,000 years ago.
- Hobart, Tasmania: An Island of History and Wilderness — The capital of Australia’s island state of Tasmania, Hobart offers guests the chance to learn about its aborigine history and explore its unique wilderness area, including Mt. Wellington, which the city is nestled under.
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: Vibrant Saigon – This eclectic city, home to a mix of modern skyscrapers, French colonial buildings and ornate palaces, offers a variety of experiences for guests, including the Cu Chi Tunnels, the War Remnants Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Reunification Palace.
- Mumbai, India: The Front Door to India – The bustling city of Mumbai, formerly Bombay, is the financial, commercial and entertainment capital of India. While in port, guests can learn about the iconic activist Gandhi at the Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum and visit the Hanging Gardens, one of the prized few parks found in the busy metropolis.
- Luxor, Egypt: Temples and Tombs – The site of the ancient Egyptian city of Thebes, Luxor is dense with historical monuments for guests to explore, including the Temple of Karnak and the Valley of the Kings & Valley of the Queens, which house the tombs of the Pharaohs and their wives.
Settle in for a luxury voyage as you sail from Sydney to Singapore on board Cunard’s elegant Queen Elizabeth.
Free flight and hotel stay
In Sydney, you’ll embark the exquisite Queen Elizabeth. Stunning accommodation and the most exceptional fine dining you’ll ever experience at sea are just some of this ship’s glamorous delights. Settle into your luxury surroundings as you set sail for Singapore, discovering a wealth of captivating destinations along the way.