The number of solo cruisers is increasing and many cruise lines offer great deals for singles. Cruise Passenger has found some hot tips to make sure solo cruisers get the best deals and where to find them.
1. There are a number of solo friendly cruise lines that charge reduced single supplements or none at all. These lines include Azamara Cruises, Voyages of Discovery, Crystal Cruises, Voyages to Antiquity, Compagnie du Ponant and Silversea Cruises as well as river cruise lines like Uniworld, Tauk and Viking.
2. Some ships now have solo cabins – have a look at Norwegian Cruise Line’s futuristic and funky solo suite. There are 128 solo cabins onboard the Norwegian Epic. P&O’s UK ship, Azura also has 18 cabins dedicated to singles.
3. Be on the look out for low single surcharges or deals which have no supplements at all, which allow you to cruise for the twin-share price.
4. If you’re intimidated by crowds, why not choose a smaller ship where it will be easier to meet other single travellers.
5. Consider sharing a cabin with another solo traveller. Many people have made lifelong friends cruising this way. Cruise Passenger found two ladies, Noeline Sookee and Vera Spasojevic who met through an online travel agency, Companion Cruising, which specialises in matching solo cruisers.
6. Most ship’s staff are happy to help you meet other singles onboard.
7. Joining in on activities like language courses, craft classes, dance lessons are also a great way to meet new people.
8. Speaking of dancing, some cruise lines offer ‘gentlemen hosts’ usually aged 55 and over, whose job is to provide some company to single females in public. Especially on the dance floor. These lines include Holland America, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal Cruises and Cunard.
9. You can always ask your seating host to seat you at a table with other singles if you want to meet some new people. When you’re offered a flexible dining plan, ask to be seated with others so you don’t end up eating alone.
10. Lots of lines offer singles parties onboard cruises but check out the bars and lounges and you’ll surely make some friends!