Ticketed to be the next big thing in cruising, we’re going to see more technology on our ships.
Princess Cruises is rolling out the new Ocean Medallion, a wearable band which will help with a number of things like embarkation, opening your stateroom doors, and even alerting the crew to what’s your favourite cocktail.
The device will be in Australia on the Ruby Princess early next year, when we’ll get our first chance to try it in our own waters.
Here are some of the things you need to know about the Ocean Medallion:
- Port Embarkation: It will streamline getting on and off your ship. For instance, at the terminal, Ocean Medallion-carrying guests can board the ship, engage with crew members and begin their vacation at their leisure as they already have the “key” to their stateroom (no check-in required).
- Easy Access to Everything: guests can browse and purchase products (utilising Medallion Pay™) such as retail merchandise, photos, spa services and destination excursions both intuitively and conveniently from any Ocean Compass (mobile device, browser, stateroom, public) at anytime (before, during or after cruise).
- Seamless Navigation: Enables point-to-point way-finding across the ship thanks to an intelligent navigation assistant – similar to a car or phone GPS app.
- Personalised Dining: Facilitates ordering, menu exploration and delivery of food and beverage services. Guests can even place orders and view the whereabouts of their food and beverage, as well as place future orders and have them delivered wherever they plan to be at a designated time.
- Anytime-Anywhere Entertainment and Gaming:Expands gaming options to include new digital games guests can play independently or with others, for fun or based on casino rules of the house, inside or outside of the casino including poolside, in staterooms or in any other ship location.
- Enhanced Crew Interactions:Takes personalised service to a new level because crew members are equipped with a Crew Compass that empowers personalised guest interactions. For example, when guests arrive at the airport, guest service hosts will be able to provide personalised greetings and guest services.
- Easy Payment:Enables guests to conveniently and securely make payment for experiences using their Ocean Medallion. Guests can make any number of credit cards, reward cards, gift cards and advanced payment services with Medallion Pay.
Six new ships will be fitted with the Medallion service – Ruby Princess (Jan. 27), Grand Princess (March 29), Enchanted Princess (June 15), Emerald Princess (Aug. 16), Coral Princess (Oct. 16), and Island Princess (Dec. 20
Vote in this year’s special Readers’ Choice Awards
No doubt 2020 will go down in cruise history as the year of the pandemic – a once in a generation event. And this year’s Cruise Passenger Readers’ Choice Awards will reflect it.