Princess Cruises has followed other Carnival lines, cancelling itineraries across the board until the end of the northern summer. It has also introduced some new and generous incentives to keep bookings.
In a statement from line President Jan Swartz this morning, the line says it has paused Australia-based cruises on Sapphire Princess and Sea Princess through the end of August.
The statement says “reduced air flight availability, the closure of cruise ports in regions around the world and other factors caused by the COVID-19 outbreak” are the reasons for the halt.
Other cruises stopped include all of Alaska – an area where Princess excels and has been extremely popular as a carrier.
- All remaining Europe and Transatlantic cruises on Enchanted Princess, Regal Princess, Sky Princess, Crown Princess and Island Princess
- Summer Caribbean cruises and all Canada & New England cruises on Caribbean Princess and Sky Princess
- Northern summer to northern autumn cruises departing from Japan on Diamond Princess
- Australia-based cruises on Sapphire Princess and Sea Princess through the end of August
- July cruises sailing from Taiwan on Majestic Princess
- Northern autumn cruises sailing to Hawaii and French Polynesia on Pacific Princess through November
“While prioritising health and safety, it is with much disappointment that we announce an extension of our pause of global operations due to the COVID-19 outbreak,” said Ms Swartz.
See the video here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/princess-cruises_important-update-due-to-reduced-flight-availability-activity-6663894273777369088-uKww/
“Among other disruptions, airlines have limited their flight availability and many popular cruise ports are closed. It saddens us to think about the impact on the livelihood of our teammates, business partners and the communities we visit.”
Guests currently booked on these cancelled voyages, who have paid in full, will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to 100% of the cruise fare paid plus an additional bonus FCC equal to 25% of the cruise fare.
For guests who have not paid in full, Princess will Double the Deposit, providing a refundable FCC for the money currently on deposit plus a matching bonus FCC that can be used on any voyage through May 1, 2022. The matching bonus FCC will not exceed the base cruise fare amount of the current cruise and will have a minimum value of $100 per person. In order to receive the above FCC no action is required.
Alternatively, guests can request a full refund for all monies paid on their booking through this online form. Requests must be received by June 15, 2020, or they will receive the refundable Future Cruise Credit option.
The most current information and instructions for booked guests affected by these cancellations, and more information on FCCs and refunds, can be found online at Information on Impacted & Cancelled Cruises.
Holland America Line and Seabourn have also followed suit.
Holland America Line has decided to extend its pause of global cruise operations and cancel all Alaska, Europe and Canada/New England cruises for 2020.
Amsterdam will not operate the 79-day Grand Africa Voyage from Boston to Fort Lauderdale that was scheduled to depart on October 3, 2020. Holland America Line had previously cancelled all 2020 Land+Sea Journeys, which combine an Alaska cruise with an overland tour to Denali and the Yukon.
All guests or their travel advisors will automatically be notified if their cruise departure has been cancelled. Those with impacted cruises will automatically be cancelled, and all guests will receive a Future Cruise Credit per person as follows:
- Paid in Full: Those who had paid in full will receive 125 percent FCC of the base cruise fare paid to Holland America Line
- Not Paid in Full: Those with bookings not paid in full will receive an FCC of double the amount of the deposit paid for the cruise; the minimum FCC is $100 and the maximum will be an amount up to the base cruise fare paid
The Future Cruise Credit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and may be used to book sailings departing through December 31, 2022. All other funds paid to Holland America Line may be transferred to a new booking or will automatically be refunded via the method of payment used to purchase the services.
Guests who prefer a 100 percent refund of monies paid to Holland America Line can visit the Cancellation Preferences form to indicate this preference no later than June 15, 2020. This includes Holland America Line’s Flight Ease air, Cancellation Protection Plan, Holland America Line pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees and port expenses.
Seabourn announced that it will extend the voluntary pause of global operations for its five cruise ships. The pause will apply to each of Seabourn’s five ships differently with each having a different “effective through” date in either October or November. Specific details are as follows:
- Seabourn Odyssey: Paused through the Europe season, with its operations pause effective through November 20
- Seabourn Sojourn: Paused through Alaska/British Columbia season, with its operations pause effective through October 13
- Seabourn Quest: Paused through the Canada/New England season, with its operations pause effective through November 6
- Seabourn Encore: Paused through the Europe season, with its operations pause effective through October 19
- Seabourn Ovation: Paused through Europe season, with its operations pause effective through November 6
Vote in this year’s special Readers’ Choice Awards
No doubt 2020 will go down in cruise history as the year of the pandemic – a once in a generation event. And this year’s Cruise Passenger Readers’ Choice Awards will reflect it.