The Oasis of the Seas, the first of Royal Caribbean’s record 6,296-passenger capacity Oasis-class ship sails out from Miami with her new updated look.
The ship that was a game changer when she first debuted in 2009 went through a $165 million update to include the cruise line’s first barbecue restaurant, Portside BBQ and many other firsts on board the Oasis. From waterslides, the tallest dry slide at sea–the Ultimate Abyss–to popular live music venue Music Hall, a feature originally from Quantum-class ships.
“To see a 63-day, $165 million effort come to life on a ship as iconic as Oasis of the Seas is remarkable,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International.
“Our guests–new and fans alike–are in for an Oasis that takes family vacations to the next level. With exciting, new adventures and signature experiences, this ship is every bit as original as the day she debuted 10 years ago, almost to the day.”
The new food options on the Oasis include Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade, El Loco Fresh, Bionic Bar by Makr Shakr and Sugar Beach.
For entertainment, the AquaTheater is debuting a new aqua show with acrobatics set to iconic tunes from the 80s. The Royal Theatre will also have a new full-scale production titled One Sky. There will also be a new karaoke venue on board the Spotlight Karaoke which has both private rooms and a main stage to exercise your pipes.
There will also be new family fun available on board like Clash for the Crystal City glow in the dark laser tag and an escape room which is a replica of the original Apollo Mission Control Room.
Oasis is now sailing 7-night Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises from Miami before heading to the Big Apple in May 2020, where it will become the first of its kind and the largest cruise ship to sail from the area.
Here are 16 highlights on the newly refurbished Oasis of the Seas:
Top Deck Thrills
- The Ultimate Abyss – A 10-story test of courage and the tallest slide at sea that twists and turns for the optimal thrill factor.
- The Perfect Storm – The action-packed trio of multistory waterslides known as Typhoon, Cyclone and Supercell punch up the level of excitement on the pool deck.
- A reimagined, Caribbean pool deck – With Splashaway Bay kids aquapark, signature poolside bar The Lime & Coconut, hammocks, casitas, in-pool loungers and live music, days and nights at sea take on a whole new meaning.
Palate Pleasing Dining
- Portside BBQ – Royal Caribbean’s very first barbecue restaurant serves up an authentic, meat-packed menu inspired by the best-in-class barbecue across the United States.
- Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade – With 80 big-screen TVs, tabletop games, arcade classics, an Owner’s Box VIP area, bar fare and ice-cold brews, Playmakers is where everyone in the family can enjoy themselves.
- Bionic Bar by Makr Shakr – A dynamic duo of robotic bartenders mans this guest-favourite venue.
- El Loco Fresh – Offering Mexican street fare to go, the casual spot’s menu includes made-to-order tacos, burritos, quesadillas, mini salads and more.
- Sugar Beach – With more than 220 types of candy and a new walk-up ice cream window, this is the sweetest spot on board.
Show-stopping Entertainment & Hot Spots
- Aqua80 – In the unparalleled AquaTheater, Oasis debuts a brand-new aqua show that sets jaw-dropping feats, high dives and acrobatics to iconic tunes from the 80s. Guests will take a spin back to a totally radical decade brought to life by extreme athletes and divers.
- One Sky – A new, full-scale production takes centre stage in the Royal Theatre. This Royal Caribbean original guides travellers through a journey of discovery with music and choreography that explores human connections.
- Spotlight Karaoke – The dedicated karaoke spot where budding singers can rock out to their favourite tunes at the venue’s main stage or in one of two private rooms.
- Music Hall – The live music venue makes its Oasis Class debut with a roster of live cover bands, an expansive dance floor, a pool table and intimate lounge seating across two levels.
Family Adventures Await
- All-new Adventure Ocean – Featuring interactive, personalised and immersive experiences, the award-winning program’s major makeover encourages young guests to choose their own adventures across an entirely new layout.
- Social298 – A 360-degree transformation debuts a new, maxed-out teens lounge with gaming consoles, music, movies, places to hang out and a new outdoor deck known as The Patio.
- Glow-in-the-dark laser tag – In Clash for the Crystal City, two teams on the brink of extinction– the Yetis and Snowshifters–go head to head to take control of the mythical ice city.
- Royal Escape Room – Mission Control: Apollo 18 – Guests walk into a replica of the original Apollo Mission Control Room, take their stations, and must manoeuvre a series of mind-bending puzzles to successfully launch Apollo 18.
Find out how to pick the best cabin in Cruise Passenger’s world-first Video Cruise Guide
We’ve made choosing your next cruise easy with a guide that cuts through the complications and tells you what lines are offering, where they can take you and what’s on board.