They’ve been inspected, tested and ranked and now cruisers can find out which ships are the best in the 30th anniversary issue of the Berlitz cruise guide.
The 704-page 2015 edition will be available to buy from 1 October this year.
To commemorate the 30th anniversary, the guide has a 30 Wonderful Cruise Experiences list, with some of the best things to see and do at sea.
There’s also a new to cruising section with tips on how to have a good first time experience, the benefits of cruising and how to choose the right cruise for you.
And don’t forget the main section of the guide where 270 ocean ships – small and large – are profiled and ranked.
For the second year running, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises’ Europa and Europa 2 were the only ships to receive a five-stars-plus rating in the small ship category.
Berlitz author Douglas Ward said both ships have an outstanding space per passenger and are beautiful to sail on.
“[They have] high-ceilinged passageways, a superb range of dining venues and types of cuisine, and attentive, friendly, yet unobtrusive personal service,” he said.
“They have proven themselves to be unbeatable yet again.”
TUI cruises’ Mein Schiff 3 and Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth came out on top in the large ships category, receiving four-stars-plus.
Crystal’s Serenity and Symphony were the only mid-size ships to receive five-stars and Royal Caribbean and Disney were named best for family.
See the full list of results below.
Top Large Ships carrying 2,001-6,500 passengers
1. TUI Cruises’ Mein Schiff 3 – five-stars-plus
2. Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 – five-stars-plus
3. Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth – five-stars-plus
Top Mid-Size Ships carrying 751-2,000 passengers
1. Crystal Cruises’ Crystal Serenity – five-stars
2. Crystal Cruises’ Crystal Symphony – five-stars
3. Oceania Cruises’ Riviera – four-stars-plus
Top Small Ships carrying 251-750 passengers
1. Hapag-Lloyd Cruises’ Europa 2 – five-stars-plus
2. Hapag-Lloyd Cruises’ Europa – five-stars-plus
3. Silversea Cruises’ Silver Whisper – five-stars
Top Boutique Ships carrying 50-250 passengers
1. Hapag-Lloyd’s Hanseatic – five-stars
2. SeaDream’s SeaDream I – five-stars
3. SeaDream’s SeaDream II – five-stars
Five Best Ships for Families
Royal Caribbean International’s Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas
Disney Cruise Line’s Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy
TUI Cruises’ Mein Schiff 3
MSC Cruises’ MSC Preziosa
Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway