It’s fast becoming one of the best places to cruise, and the allure of Alaska is attracting thousands of people to see its wilderness, its culture and its wildlife.
Princess Cruises offers some amazing experiences, both onboard and off their ships. There are wonderful shore excursions like lumber jack shows, whale watching by kayak, glacier walking and much more.
Here are 10 reasons why you should cruise Alaska:
1. Explore the stunning wilderness of Yukon, Canada, with lunch at Caribou Crossing and a visit to a sled dog camp to see the huskies and their adorable puppies. If you’re up for it, go dog sledding with a musher on a custom wheeled training cart along a forested trail.
2. From Juneau Port, take a thrilling helicopter tour over the Juneau Icefield and land on the awe-inspiring Herbert Glacier.
3. Treat yourself to a small-group rafting trip and scenic drive through the famous Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. Look out for humpback whales and seals on the ferry ride en route.
4. For the best bears and wilderness adventure, visit Katmai National Park and Preserve; four million acres of remote, wild country where you can see brown bears drawn to the Bristol Bay sockeye salmon run.
5. Cruise alongside Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve on southeast Alaska’s Inside Passage. Stretching north of the town of Gustavus, the bay is flanked by peaks, including Mount Fairweather, and glaciers like the huge Grand Pacific Glacier.
6. Take a cruise from Icy Strait Point to Point Adolphus, home to Alaska’s largest population of humpbacks. Along the way you may even spot orcas, sea lions, seals and porpoises.
7. Explore the oldest national park in Alaska. Sitka National Historical Park is famous for the collection of 20 indigenous totem poles spread throughout the park.
8. Bird-watchers must visit the Pribilof Islands, a cluster of remote volcanic islands which are home to the biggest colonies of nesting seabirds in the world, plus two million northern fur seals.
9. Stop for a drink at the Red Onion Saloon while you’re in Skagway. Originally an upmarket saloon and brothel, it reached its heyday during the gold rush of 1898 and now includes a fascinating museum.
10. Travel in style from Skagway to White Pass Summit on the famous White Pass Scenic Railway. You’ll see Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point and the aptly-named Dead Horse Gulch.
Win a $9,100 Alaska cruise with Princess Cruises
To celebrate the launch of GO WILD: Your guide to cruising Alaska, we’re offering you the chance to win a 7-night cruise from Vancouver to Whittier aboard Royal Princess and $4,000 of eZAir credit to use toward your airfares.
Settle in for a luxury voyage as you sail from Sydney to Singapore on board Cunard’s elegant Queen Elizabeth.
Free flight and hotel stay
In Sydney, you’ll embark the exquisite Queen Elizabeth. Stunning accommodation and the most exceptional fine dining you’ll ever experience at sea are just some of this ship’s glamorous delights. Settle into your luxury surroundings as you set sail for Singapore, discovering a wealth of captivating destinations along the way.