With cruise ship technology advancing at such a rapid pace, the printed daily schedule left on your bed each evening could soon be a thing of the past.
Introducing the cruise app, a self-contained program that passengers can use on their mobile or tablet to perform a whole range of useful functions. The apps are free to download, either from App Store or Google Play, and there is no charge to use most of the basic functions when connected to the ship’s wi-fi. One of the most popular functions allows passengers travelling on the same ship to communicate via text message for free (or for a small set up fee), which is ideal for families or groups travelling together. The service is generally only available on the more high-tech ships, so check with the line before you download.
What can you do with a cruise app?
- See an up-to-date daily schedule of activities and events
- Make reservations for specialty restaurants or spa treatments
- Browse and book shore excursions
- See a list of onboard restaurants and bars
- Create a customised calendar
- Look at deck plans and a ship map
- View your current account and charges
- Keep in touch with friends and family members on the ship
Who has it?
- Carnival Cruise Lines – Carnival Hub
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Norwegian iConcierge
- Royal Caribbean – Royal iQ
- Princess Cruises – Princess@Sea
- Disney Cruise Line – Navigator
Apps are also available so potential passengers can experience a little shipboard life before they board. Lines like Azamara, Celebrity Cruises, P&O World Cruises, Costa Cruises, Holland America Line have launched apps have use video, images, virtual tours, deck plans, games, maps and information about shore excursions and onboard activities. They also let users find the most up to date pricing and, in some cases, book their next cruise straight away.
Settle in for a luxury voyage as you sail from Sydney to Singapore on board Cunard’s elegant Queen Elizabeth.
Free flight and hotel stay
In Sydney, you’ll embark the exquisite Queen Elizabeth. Stunning accommodation and the most exceptional fine dining you’ll ever experience at sea are just some of this ship’s glamorous delights. Settle into your luxury surroundings as you set sail for Singapore, discovering a wealth of captivating destinations along the way.