explorer of the seas-gastro-outbreak

Gastro outbreak aboard Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas docked in Sydney around 6 am today with NSW Ambulance paramedics waiting to attend the guests at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. A massive gastro outbreak aboard Explorer of the Seas hit more then 180 guests and crew members earlier this week.

A statement released by Royal Caribbean International said, “guests and crew experienced gastrointestinal illness. Those affected by the short-lived illness have responded well to over-the-counter medication administered on board the ship.”

“At Royal Caribbean International we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. We have reported this to South East Sydney Local Health District and while docked in Sydney, the ship and terminal will undergo an enhanced cleaning and sanitisation to prevent any illness affecting future cruises.”

Explorer of the Seas left Sydney on December 2 for a two week trip to New Zealand with more than 3500 passengers. The outbreak started on December 5 and affected many by December 11 and 12. With more then 3 percent of ship’s passengers sick, the cruise ship notified the health authorities before its return to Sydney.

The incident was covered by all leading news channels. A passenger told Channel 9, “Every time you walked in and out of the corridors there were medics going in and out of all the rooms. Just about everybody was sick.”

Explorer of the Seas is one of the biggest Royal Caribbean ships arriving in Australia with cruises to South Pacific and New Zealand from Sydney. Cruise Passenger was aboard Explorer of the Seas earlier this month, read the review here

COMPETITION

Celebrity Cruises

Win An Australia & New Zealand Cruise With Celebrity Cruises

Win an Australia or New Zealand voyage of your choice, with Celebrity Cruises. The winner will be able to pick a local cruise of up to the value of $7,996 for two people.

ENTER NOW