Tuesday 22nd February 2011 – Sydney Harbour, Australia - Sydney Welcomes Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary 2 on Royal Rendezvous on Maiden World Voyage; Cunard’s newest ocean liner, Queen Elizabeth, arrived in Sydney for the first time this morning, following her larger sister, Queen Mary 2, into Sydney Harbour in another historic Royal Rendezvous.
This morning’s visit marks the first time two Cunard liners had ever arrived together in Sydney Harbour. It also recalls an earlier Royal Rendezvous when the original Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth – both then World War II troop ships – passed each other at Sydney Heads on April 9, 1941.
Stretching 294 metres in length and wearing Cunard’s classic red and black livery, the 90,900-tonne Queen Elizabeth met Queen Mary 2 outside Sydney Heads before 5.30am before following her sister into the Harbour and berthing at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at around 7am.
Both midway through their world voyages, the spectacular Queen Elizabeth sailed in from New Zealand while the majestic Queen Mary 2 arrived from Adelaide.
Launched by Her Majesty The Queen in October last year, the elegant Queen Elizabeth is carrying around 2000 guests and almost 1000 crew on her 103-night world voyage. The joint visit of Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary 2 is expected to generate close to $3 million for the Sydney economy.
Take advantage of great deals available right now and get free flights to Europe and Asia, hundreds of dollars of onboard credit or a free bottle of Veuve Cliquot!
1. Cruise with Cunard and get free champagne! Cunard’s Wave Sale is on now and offers passengers a host of extras. Pay half price deposits, receive up to US$400 onboard credit and receive a free bottle of Veuve Cliquot per person. A 16-night cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong onboard Queen Mary 2 is priced from $3,669 per person twin share ($216 per person per day). Click here to find out more.
2. Get your credit card ready for Royal Caribbean’s Mega Sale finishing at 5pm today (January 29). Save almost 60% on select number of sailings from Sydney and Brisbane in February and March 2016. An eight-night Queensland cruise onboard Voyager of the Seas is priced from just $672 per person ($75 per person per day). Get in quick – book here.
3. Take a 10-night Melanesian Discovery cruise onboard the new Pacific Aria and received onboard credit of up to $300, plus a soft drink package and a Mystery Shore Tour (depending on cabin category). The cruise departs Sydney on May 9, 2016 and prices start from $796 per person ($72 per person per day). This sale ends on Sunday night (January 31) so you’ll have to be quick. Click here for more info.
Cruise + Land
4. Take an 18-day Majestic Rockies and Alaska Cruise tour with APT in April 2016 and receive free return flights to Canada. Prices start from $10,395 per person ($577 per person per day) including flights and air taxes of up to $200. The tour includes a 10-night land journey from Victoria to Vancouver followed by a seven-night Inside Passage cruise with Holland America. Offer on sale until February 29, 2016. Click here for more information.
5. Spend 19 nights on a cruise/stay/fly holiday to Hawaii with Celebrity Cruises from just $105 per person per day. The cruise, onboard Celebrity Millennium, departs Sydney on March 29, 2016, and cruising across the Pacific for 16 days, calling at Fiji and French Polynesia, on its way to Hawaii. Passengers spend one night in Honolulu before flying back to Australia. Fares start from $2,099 per person. See the full deal here.
6. Tour Tokyo, Kyoto and Okayama before boarding a 10-night cruise around the Japanese islands onboard Diamond Princess from $5,099 per person twin share ($300 per person per day). Departing 18 June the 17-day package includes return economy flights, accommodation and most meals, cruise and English speaking guide. See the full package details here.
7. Cruise the South Pacific onboard the five-star Seabourn Odyssey for $505 per person per day. The 23-night cruise departs Fiji on February 28, 2016 and cruises across the Pacific to California. Fares start from $12,126 per person twin share. Check out the offer here.
8. Get free flights, accommodation and transfers on a luxury expedition cruise onboard Silver Discoverer from Singapore to Phuket. This 18-day package includes return economy flights from Australia to Singapore/Phuket, pre and post cruise accommodation, and an 11-night cruise through Indonesia, Sumatra and Thailand. Prices start from $11,999 per person twin share ($666 per person per day). See the full package here.
9. Passengers cruising with Avalon Waterways in 2017 can choose between free flights or up to 15% off their cruise fare. The offer applies to dozens of Europe and Southeast Asia cruises departing between January 1 and June 15, 2017. For example, an eight-day Romantic Rhine cruise between Zurich and Amsterdam is priced from $3,462 per person ($432 per person per day) including free flights or from $2,913 per person ($364 per person per day) without flights including a 10% discount. The early bird fares are on sale until April 15, 2016. See the full list of available cruises here.
10. Cruise the European rivers with Travelmarvel in 2017 and get free return flights. The 15-day European Gems cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam is priced from $5,395 per person twin share ($360 per person per day) including economy class flights. The offer is available across all cabins, on all dates, all throughout the year. Find out more here.
Win An Australia & New Zealand Cruise With Celebrity Cruises
Win an Australia or New Zealand voyage of your choice, with Celebrity Cruises. The winner will be able to pick a local cruise of up to the value of $7,996 for two people.