Cruise Passenger’s Teresa Ooi has the pleasure of being onboard Legend of the Seas for her first Australian voyage since her refurbishment. Come summer, she will be homeported in Brisbane, replacing Rhapsody of the Seas. Here, Teresa reveals the best bits of the makeover.
- Legend of the Seas likes to keep the best at the top of the ship. The glitzy American-style Chops Grille is on deck 11, while the more quietly elegant Izumi, serving Asian cuisine, is opposite. They are two of the best specialty restaurants onboard the 2000-passenger Legend; each dining experience will set you back just US$30. Chops Grille is Legend’s signature restaurant and offers the “best steak from Nebraska”, said the head waiter – and he was right! The mignon steak, at nine ounces, served medium rare was succulent, soft and delicious – and you don’t need a steak knife to cut it.
- Chef’s Table, another specialty restaurant but this time on deck 5, serves a degustation dinner for 14 guests, matched with wine, cooked by the ship’s chef. It’s priced at $95 per person.
- Rock climbing on deck 10 is an experience that’s not to be missed for fit passengers looking for a challenge. Make sure you are not afraid of heights!
- Shuffleboard courts, also on deck 10, are open 24 hours for those wanting to loosen up and shed that extra pound after indulging on the ship’s buffet at Windjammer Café.
- The solarium, hot tubs and whirlpools on deck 9 are only for guests aged 16 and above.
- No reservation of deck chairs on sunning decks or poolside – this discourages sun-bathers who leave their towels on the chairs only to disappear.
- Vitality spa’s salubrious surrounds to have a face or body massage. Men can also have a 45-minute deep-cleanse shave or get their beard trimmed. The spa uses Elemis products.
- Café Latte-tudes is the place to go for the latte or cappuccino that’ll get you going in the morning – and if you have six, you get one free.
- iCafe – there’s good wi-fi connection on the ship (for a fee), but the signal is not good enough for a WhatsApp chat with family or friends abroad.