The crew of Australia’s newest and biggest home-ported ship have been praised after a limited outbreak of gastric problems.
Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of the Seas arrived in Hobart today, where almost 200 people were treated for symptoms.
A passenger filmed crew sanitising a corridor in a bid to halt the spread to the rest of the 5,800 on board. The 195 down with the sickness represent just three per cent of those sailing on the ship, but the outbreak sparked headlines.
“Those affected by the short-lived illness were treated by our ship’s doctors with over-the-counter medication, and we hope all our guests feel better quickly,” a statement from Royal Caribbean said.
“Meanwhile, we’re taking steps like intensive sanitary procedures to minimise the risk of any further issues.
There was praise for the crew in an ABC report.
“They are doing everything perfectly to avoid further sickness. I could hear them last night doing this spraying outside my cabin,” one passenger said.
Another reported that restaurants could not be accessed, finger food had been stopped and a galley tour had been cancelled.
“The ship is doing absolutely everything to control it, you wash your hands at least a dozen times a day. Their hygiene is first class, it’s obviously a passenger that’s brought it on,” one passenger told the ABC.
The ship arrives in Sydney on Thursday, where there will be further cleaning.
According to the ABC, the Tasmanian Health Service said the cruise ship had notified local authorities about the outbreak and public health services were working with the ship.
“It is not unusual for gastroenteritis outbreaks to occur aboard cruise ships, just as it is within the normal population,” a spokesman said.